Search

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dorogoi Dlinnoyu (Those Were the Days)

Dorogoi DlinnoyuThose Were the Days
[The One Sung]
Ekhali na troyke s bubentsami,
A vdali mel’kali ogon’ki…
Ekh, kogda by mne teper’ za vami,
Dushu by razveyat’ ot toski!

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la la la la
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days!
[English Adaption]
Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
Think of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we'd choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la la la la
Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say...

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me?

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dorogoy DlinnoyuThe Long Road
[Transliterated]
Yehali na troyke s bubentsami,
A vdali mel'kali ogon'ki.
Mne b seichas, sokoliki, za vami,
Dushu bi razveyat' ot toski.

[Refrain]
Dorogoy dlinnoyu, da noch'yu lunnoyu,
Da s pesney toy, chto vdal' letit, zvenya,
I s toy starinnoyu, toy semistrunnoyu.
Chto po nocham tak muchila menya...

Tak zhiv'a bez radosti, bez muki,
Pomnyu ya ushedshiye goda
I tvoi serebryanie ruki
V troyke, uletevshey navsegda...

Da, vykhodit, peli my zadarom,
Ponaprasnu noch’ za noch’yu zhgli.
esli my pokonchili so starym,
Tak i nochi eti otoshli!

Dni begut, pechali umnozhaya,
Mne tak trudno proshloe zabit'.
Kak-nibud' odnazhdi, dorogaya,
Vi menya svezete horonit'.

V dal’ rodnuyu novymi putyami
Nam otnyne ekhat’ suzhdeno!
…ekhali na troyke s bubentsami,
Da teper’ proekhali davno!

[Russian]
Ехали на тройке с бубенцами,
А вдали мелькали огоньки.
Мне б мне, соколики, за Вами,
Душу бы развеять от тоски.

[припев]
Дорогой длинною, да ночью лунною,
Да с песней той, что вдаль летит звеня,
И с той старинною с той семиструнною,
Что по ночам так мучала меня...

Так живя без радости, без муки,
Помню я ушедшие года,
И твои серебряные руки
В тройке, улетевшей навсегда...

Да, выходит, пели мы за даром
Понапрасну ночь за ночью жгли
Если б мы покончили со старым
Так и ночи эти отошли

Дни бегут, печали умножая,
Мне так трудно прошлое забыть.
Как-нибудь однажды, дорогая,
Вы меня свезете хоронить.

В даль родную новыми путями
Нам отныне ехать суждено
Ехали на тройке с бубенцами
Да теперь проехали давно
[Translated]
They were riding in a troika with bells,
and in the distance there were glimmering lights.
I'd rather go now with you, my dears,
I'd rather distract my soul from the yearning.

[Chorus]
Along a long road, and on a moonlit night,
And with that song that flies away with jingle-jangle,
And with that ancient, seven-stringed one (guitar)
That tortured me so much at nights...

Living this way, without joy, without torture,
I do remember the past years
and your silvery hands
in a troika that flew away forever....

But it turns out our song was futile,
In vain we burned night in and night out.
If we have finished with the old,
Then those nights have also left us!

The days run on, multiplying the sorrows,
it is so hard for me to forget the past.
Some day, my dear,
you shall take me to bury (dead hero to the cemetery)

Out into our native land, and by new paths,
We have been fated to go now!
…You rode on a troika with sleigh bells,
[But] you’ve long since passed by!

No comments: